Saturday, April 30, 2011

I'm a Pepper, You're a Pepper

Hello everyone. I wanted to say thank you for tuning in. A quick update, my doctor's appointment went well. No change or increase in medications and my BP was actually almost acceptable. I got up the courage to ask the doc about Chantix and started it on Friday. I am supposed to let everyone know to pay attention to my mood. First reason is that I cannot take the Chantix and my anti-depressant at the same time. Second reason is because in the next few weeks I may become increasingly irritable...really, I have already been feeling like that trying to quit cold turkey.I guess that comes down to not too much will change in the next few weeks.   I have to admit that I failed to go on my walk today, but I think we will head out to Robinson's Preserve for our walk tomorrow.

Your votes were tallied and the cupcake for this week was determined. I had a ton of fun baking Chocolate Dr Pepper Cupcakes this evening. I had a little helper  that was wide awake and thrilled to play a role in this week's dose of cupcakes. My other little one fell asleep for the night before my baking began. This particular cupcake was easy to make. It is the first time I have made a cake that required the butter be melted for the batter and the icing. Then again it is the first time I have made a cake with soda for the liquid. One thing I love about this recipe is that the cupcakes only take 15 minutes to bake. They were so light and moist, hugely different from the matcha cupcakes. The smell as they were baking was fantastic, probably because of the cinnamon. The icing gave me a run for my money. First it was too thin...add powdered sugar, then it was too thick...add Dr Pepper. Finally it was perfect. The cakes were taken out of the oven. At that point I looked down and it was 10:43 p.m.  I had to break the news to my assistant chef that she would have to go to bed and her taste test would have to wait until tomorrow. Make no mistake she will wake up asking for a cupcake for breakfast. I did taste them in her absence. I have to say they were YUMMY!!! The icing, like most homemade styles, was very sweet. The hint of Dr Pepper and cherry syrup was there. What I was most delighted to experience was the little bit of heat provided by the
cinnamon. I will post the recipe tomorrow if anyone wants to try these. It is late and I should go to sleep sometime before my children wake up for the day.   Almost forgot, check out the slide show I added to the page.

3 comments:

  1. I don't even like Dr. Pepper, but these sound pretty good. My vote for next time is the Oreo cupcakes, but already I'm outnumbered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your presentation is the key. They always look awesome. Everyone loved the cupcakes you made for our Japan relief bake sale. They sold them all that day, and my company matched the funds we raised that day for a total of $600. Thanks again for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wade, I am glad to hear none of my cupcakes were orphaned. I was glad to help. It was a fantastic way to start this journey and I will contribute to any of your baking required events anytime. Rebecca, I only wish I could have been able to share one of these with you, you would have loved it!

    ReplyDelete