Saturday, April 23, 2011

Dessert Tea

Yesterday I went on a trip to Won Kai Imports. I was in awe of the aisles of Asian ingredients, most of which I looked at and wondered "What is that?" You see I could not read 99% of the packaging. The very friendly employee led me straight to the Matcha. There were several types to choose from so I went with the package I remembered seeing the most while doing my online searching. I quickly picked up several packages, including one for our child care provider who told me she loved green tea. I left feeling accomplished and excited to make my first dose of cupcakes. Today I ventured into the cupcake unknown. This was a challenge for me because I am not a green tea drinker. I love soda...I am hoping the Dr. Pepper cupcake wins the vote for next week. I was very excited to make the Matcha Cupcake. I gathered my ingredients early this morning, set my butter out to let it get to room temperature and set off for a Saturday morning at work. This is not uncommon for me due to the nature of my job, but today I was looking forward to coming home to bake...just for fun. The batter was thicker than I have seen before and I have made a lot of cake. Using an ice cream scoop to fill the cups I crossed my fingers that they were not overfilled. Moving on to the icing I quickly realized I would need to make 2 batches. The end result looked a lot like Wasabi, thank goodness it did not taste like it. The cooled cupcakes got a swirl of icing and a few candy pearls. Each one was neatly packaged and ready for the Japan Relief Bake Sale. I delivered an uneven five to our green tea loving day care provider and was more than pleased when she called a few minutes later to tell me she liked them. In case any of you would like to try this Far East inspired dessert here is the recipe. 


Matcha Green Tea Cupcakes
Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees


What you will need for the cupcakes:
24 cupcake papers               
2 large eggs
1 cup unsalted butter            
2 large egg yolks
2 cups sugar                       
3 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder           
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup milk                           
2 Tbs matcha tea


Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds.
Add sugar. Beat on medium high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Add eggs / egg yolks one at a time, beat for 30 seconds between each.
Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. 
Add to butter mixture and mix until combined.
Mix in matcha with milk. Add to the batter and mix until combined. Scoop batter into paper lined baking pan. 
Bake for 22 - 25 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean. 
 Let cool completely before icing.



                                                      What you will need for the icing:
1 stick butter                       
1 Tbs matcha powder
2 Tbs half & half                 
3 cups powdered sugar-sifted


     Mix matcha with the half & half to make a paste.      
     Beat butter briefly, scrape bowl.     
     Add the sifted powdered sugar and matcha paste.      
     Beat until smooth
I made 2 batched because I like to pipe on my icing. If you plan on spreading a thin layer on the top then you will be fine with one batch. 


Don't forget to vote for what cupcake I should bake next week.  


HAVE A WONDERFUL EASTER EVERYONE!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment