Sunday, May 22, 2011

Just call me the Cupcake Smuggler





First let me thank all of you for continuing to follow my blog. I appreciate it more than you know. Second let me thank all of you for voting to bring the first alcohol I actually liked the taste of, beer (which I really do not like) and chocolate together in the form of this week's cupcake. Yes people, you picked the Chocolate Guinness cupcake with Bailey's Irish Cream Icing. My first thought was "Ah crap!" my final thought was "genius!" You can find the recipe which I borrowed from Karin at http://karinscupcakeadventure.blogspot.com/2011/03/guinness-cupcakes-with-baileys-irish.html This week I did not fight with any stage of the cupcakes. This week I also baked solo due to the ingredients. I was extremely concerned as I emptied the entire bottle of Guinness into the vanilla and melted butter. It smelled horrible, the beer was spitting at me from the beaters. I had to remind myself that this cupcake would not exist if people, like most of you, did not think it sounded fantastic. So I continued on. It was smelling better with each addition of the dry mix which included the sugar and cocoa powder. One quick taste before throwing them in the oven kept me wondering, as did the smell of Guinness in my kitchen as the beer actually cooked off during baking. It was time to head out to a happy 1st birthday party so I left the naked cupcakes to cool completely hoping that the icing would change my mind. Now I love the taste of Bailey's Irish Cream. I only wish it did not cost so much.  As soon as I came home a twisted off that cap, took a nice long smell and began to make what I think will be my all time favorite icing ever, and I mean EVER!!! Butter, confectioners sugar and Bailey's...my new best friends. Despite my instant love for this icing I made sure not to pipe too much onto the cupcakes, I promise that the cupcakes were pretty tall, I have yet to figure out that perfect amount when filling the liners. Since I had decided to donate these cupcakes to a special event I dressed them up with some tinted Bailey's icing and a few candy pearls. They were ready to go and so was I. Now here is where I ran into an issue. How can I make sure that these cupcakes last as long as the event they would be traveling to? I made a quick pit stop to the grocery store. One bag of ice and a one Styrofoam cooler later I had found my solution. I quickly wrote on the cooler "21 and up only" and the name of the cupcake flavor. I added the name of my blog as well and headed west for my delivery. Twenty minutes with my windows down and music up with no idea I may have to smuggle in my treats. The beach was dark and it was easy to spot my intended delivery area. It was marked by large stadium lights, the sound of fun music and people walking laps all in the name of finding a cure for cancer. I pulled into the parking lot and noticed a sign announcing I was entering a smoke free / alcohol free zone. For the second time today I thought to myself "ah crap." Reaching for my marker I quickly

scribbled over "21 and up only" not knowing how strict this alcohol ban might me. Looking back I think it was a bit of an over reaction since I failed to mark out the words "Guinness" and "Bailey's Irish Cream." To my delight there was no one checking my little cooler and I quickly caught site of two very friendly and familiar faces, Tia and Scott. They were walking their laps, hand and hand with smiles on their face, all to show support for their loved ones who had been touched by cancer. As always I was asked "where are my two little friends?" A question Scott asks anytime he sees me without the twins attached to my hip. Since it was at least 8:30 pm I was confident with my response "ha, they are at home in bed." I was ushered over to the Team Publix Supermarkets tent where I was able to deliver the cupcakes and let them know that they can share them amongst themselves or with the other teams. After all there would be another 12 hours of the Anna Maria Island Relay for Life. I walked a lap with them, taking a look at all of the booths that were set up in hopes of raising more money for the event. Two things caught my eye, the Luminaria tent and a sign that read "Butterbeer $1 each." This is a cupcake, also known as Triple Butterscotch. After returning to the team's tent I enjoyed one of my cupcakes, I must admit it was pretty darn good. I then made my way back to the Luminaria Tent walking the wrong way into oncoming walkers. I filled out my "In Memory Of" Luminaria, watched it get placed and started to walk away. Just as I took a a few steps it was announced that the Remembrance Lap and Luminaria Ceremony would begin. I watched as people, including myself moved towards their small white bags with names and messages indicating someone they loved that has been lost to

or is fighting against cancer. It was strangely breathtaking as all lights were turned off, everyone was silent and one by one each of those small white bags containing so much significance were lit. It was beautiful and sad all at the same time. The following lap was calm and mostly silent. As I remembered my grandpa Bill I found myself whipping away a mixture of tears of joy and sadness. When I did hear people talking it was those who had not been directly effected by cancer commenting on how sad the visual symbol was of those lost or a mother trying to explain to her young son what exactly cancer is. As I returned to my luminaria I felt myself smile as I looked down at that glowing bag. I left feeling at peace, more than I have in a long time. I headed east, enjoying my 20 minute ride home, windows down and in silence, not even the sound of racing thoughts in my head. Grateful for the ones I love, aware of all those who have been lost. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment